After creating the mast head on the main image it came to adding the articles and other features to make it look like a proper magazine. I started with a strapline that would summaries the main features or interests of this college magazine. after looking at my Questionnaire analysis I found out that the most popular things people wanted to feature in the magazine were Film, TV, New music and job information. Therefore I listed them just beneath the mast head so they spread equally across the page. I also ended the line with the buzz word 'FREE' in capitals and slightly bigger to make it clear how much the item was, as well as putting it in with the list to show it is one of the many advantages of receiving this magazine. To write this whole strapline I chose Berlin Sans FB Demi as the font as I thought it looked quite similar to the mast head. I would then make sure this was the font I would use throughout the cover lines.

Next I decided to add my main feature onto the magazine. I thought I should choose music as the main feature article as there is so much variety. From looking back at my questionnaire analysis I found out that the main genre of music people I asked listened to was Rock or Indie. therefore I decided to choose a band or solo artist who related to these preferences. As this will be a magazine for City College Norwich, I thought I could relate it even further to this area by choosing an artists that was visiting the UEA or The Waterfront soon. After looking on
www.ueaticketbookings.co.uk/ and looking at a few artists, I found out band Bastille were soon to visit the UEA on 10th October 2013. They are a indie rock band that were perfect to feature in the magazine, so I decided the feature article should be about them on their new tour. Also as they are quite a popular band I thought it would be great to see them live. This gave me the idea to include a ticket give away to see them, as the readers of this magazine would live in the area of Norwich so the venue would be suitable to win tickets for. I displayed all this information on the left 3rd of the page and made it the main Cover line. I also made it shape around the main image so no writing would overlap and ruin it.

Even though my cover line was good, I wasn't completely satisfied with how it looked on the page as it didn't really grab my attention. when highlighting the first line to increase the font size I liked how it changed to make a black box around the word with white writing. I thought this would actually looked pretty good and made the text more dominant on the page. therefore I coloured 'Interview exclusive' and 'plus' white and put a black box behind them to make it stand out more and slightly edgy.

On every magazine, you see a barcode, the date of the issue and issue number. From looking at other examples on my Magazine Research, it can be placed anywhere on the cover of the magazine and so for mine I though the bottom right corner seemed a suitable place to have it. I made it go up vertically so it didn't touch the image, with the date and issue number aligned next to it. I made the writing quite small as I didn't want it to be very noticeable as another cover line. However I made sure all the writing is the same font, making the front cover consistent in appearance.

Once I had added the main features I thought about what else I should add, as at the moment it looked very bare. When looking at my questionnaire analysis it was evident that every person I asked was on a social media site of some sort, with the top two being Facebook and Twitter. By using multiple platforms to advertise a magazine it will be more popular, therefore I added a Facebook page and twitter account address to the right hand side, making the college magazine articles more accessible with maybe added features only available online. The iconic Facebook and Twitter symbols will instantly grab the readers attention, making it more interesting for the age group it is aimed at.

So far I only had one cover line on the magazine so I decided to add something else. From my Questionnaire Analysis people said that they would like to see posters in a magazine, as well as information about the student union or college. From this, I decided to add a new cover line across the bottom of the page to show these things included in the magazine. I thought the idea of a calendar showing the years events in the college would be a good way to display this information as they could then pull it out and keep it to stick on their wall. This would especially be relevant for the beginning of the year and Fresher's week as there is always a lot going on, and a calendar to show these different events would be really helpful. Therefore the bottom cover line described the free posters and calendar you would receive with this magazine, that would be very helpful for a new student to the college.

Finally I decided to add another cover line to the right 3rd of the page. Again, it shaped the main image and didn't overlap. I got the idea of the article from my questionnaire analysis, as the people I asked said they would like to see information about jobs in their area. Originally I was going to put it in a circle puff, however, this didn't look very good as it seemed to dominant and out of place against the rest of the cover. I also didn't make the writing white with a black background as it is just a cover line and not a main cover line. therefore I left it as it was and it looked better. Once I had finished everything and made sure each side had a 5mm boundary, my front cover was complete!
No comments:
Post a Comment