Sunday, 2 March 2014

Creating my Contents Page in InDesign

 
After changing the appearance of my contents page for a third time, I finally created my flat plan that was practical and professional. Therefore sticking to this I started by adding in my photo. I only edited this photo slightly so that the top was completely black and that the main figure stood out. I placed the image the top half of the page so it divided the page evenly in two. 


To then make an area for the columned writing of articles, I used a black box that nicely blended in with the photo.
 It then came to adding in my articles. I made sure I divided the regulars and features into sections within the columns so it was formal and fitted the conventions. I used all three fonts of my house design to differ in article name, page number and description. This kept it in order yet made it look more creative. Also I made sure the page number was positioned to the right of the cover line article name to make it easy to read, and that the description text was right orientated. I coloured the text as the same blue in the image so it tied in well together.

 I liked the layout of the text so far yet the article names didn't really stand out particularly. Putting the white boxes behind the article names made it clear as to what was important and organised the text better. I also made the editorial with black text on a white solid background to separate it from the articles and make it clear to what it is. 


Although it is a contents page, I wanted the exclusive interview with Florescent Violet to stand out amongst the different articles. I also wanted it to be slightly creative and individual (which would work with my indie themed magazine). Therefore in Photoshop I created a white smudge that looked as if it was sprayed on. This made the page more creative and the article more noticeable. Meanwhile, I also created a signature for my editorial as it is one of the conventions of a magazines editorial. Finally I added the TONIC title in impact writing to show it was the contents for this week’s issue.

 

 
 
 
 
 
This was then the beginning first draft of my contents page that I would collect feedback on first before making it my final design. With my previous experimenting in InDesign this became easier to create as I already had a feel for the different tools I could use to make my contents page creative yet follow the conventions of a professional magazine.

No comments:

Post a Comment