Wednesday, 19 March 2014

Creating my Double Page Spread

To start  creating my double page spread about my exclusive interview with  Florescent Violet , I wanted to create a logo of her name as a iconic feature that will be recognised and will feature on other things such as her album or tour poster. going on Photoshop, I created a symbol that linked the F and the V of her name, with two purple stripes that ties in with her image. using various line tools I created a simple yet solid design that was bold and attractive.

I then decided to add the rest next to it with a smaller sized text. I used a similar font as I had used already within the magazine and left the word 'florescent' at usual distance. I stretched 'violet' out so it was proportional to the top word.

 
I then discovered that both words ended with a T, and so I could creatively reconnect the word at the end.
 
Making a large t that stretched over both lines, I aligned it so it was proportional and thought this kept the name compact and interesting. I had now completed this and would place this on the double page spread as it is eye catching and relating to the artist. I think it works well for an indie music magazine as it includes the pastel colours popular at the moment in indie fashions, as well as being laid out in an original style. 
It then came to editing my main image for the page. i wanted to keep it quite simple in editing but relate it to the article and colours of the page. like the front cover image, in Photoshop i gave it a magenta hue to make it more purple, that also defined the colours in her outfit. This style of editing can almost relate to the filers used on instagram, another popular social media site for sharing photos, commonly used by my target audience which relates my image to them and their interests. I also used the burn tool in the corner of the image to give more shadow and definition to the model. moreover I used the blur tool for the background alleyway to emphasise her importance and dominance over the rest of the image. then when putting it onto InDesign, I made the image cover more than half of the two pages and aligned it next to a black box to write over, just as I had planned on my flat plans.
I then inserted my Florescent Violet interview I had previously written up. I divided it into 4 columns over the two pages. I also left space for the pull quote so it would stand out against the rest of the text.

To then continue the house design of the contents page, I added the white bars at the top and bottom of the page.

I then placed the Florescent Violet logo next to the main image. I added a purple drop shadow too so it stood out from the solid text.
Finally i added a stand first to introduce the article. i used another font for this which kept in my house design and added some variation to my page.
So far i think my double page spread was something very plausable to see in an indie music magazine. the colours reflect the name of the artist, the interests of the reader and work well on the page. the text is displayed clearly and is written in an interesting way so its not just questions and answers. Moreover the logo works with the artist and ties the use of black on the page.

No comments:

Post a Comment